Sports Nutrition & Supplementation
At Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre we have a special interest in Sports Injuries and Prevention.
A major part of this is nutrition and supplementation.
We offer a range of natural sports supplements in the following categories:
- Pain Relief
- Muscle Cramp Relief
- Joint Repair
- Bone and joint strengthening
Tips for Optimal Sports Nutrition and Supplementation:
- Drink Water! You’re body is 70% water. This is essential to proper functioning on all levels. You should be drinking 35ml per kg body weight and double this when exercising.
- 48-72 hours prior to competition, reduce your training effort and increase your carbohydrate loading.
- Reduce carbohydrates by 50% of total calories for the first half of the week prior to competition, while gradually decreasing training.Carbohydates are boosted by 70% in the second half, as training is further reduced.
- Use supplements which contain Carnitine, Tyrosine, Arginine and Ornithine to help endurance
Regarding your Carbohydrate intake:
- 70% calories should come from Carb’s.
- 3 x 50 gms. portions 2hrly after exercise up until a large meal.
- More is not better > have small meals frequently.
- 600gms. / day. for an ave. 70kg. male, ie. 1.5gms./kg body weight for the first 4 hrs.,
- then 8-10gms./kg body weight thereafter.
- 40-75gms./ hr. during or 200 gms. late in exercise will help maintain glucose levels.
- 200-350gms 3-6hrs. prior.
- Fat & protein must be kept to a minimum.
Regarding your Fluid intake:
- Fluid loss during exercise can range from 1-3 litres / hr. yet we can only take in approx.1.2 litres /hr. during exercise.
- Dehydration reduces performance.
- It is suggested you require 35gms. of water per Kg body weight. This means the average 70kg individual requires 2.5 litres per day.
- Pro-sport Electrolyte replacement drinks contain glucose, fructose, sucrose, sodium and potassium.
- 4-8% Carb-electrolyte optimizes fluid / energy delivery during prolonged exercise.
- Greater than 1 ltr / hr. may increase endurance.
- Meals should be eaten 4-6 hours prior to the event: 100gms Carbs. No Carbs. 45 min. prior to an event.
- The first 20min. of exercise is fueled by Carbs.