Wellness is not defined solely by the absence of disease; it is all about achieving mental, emotional and physical wellbeing by promoting positive lifestyle choices that can lead to good health and balance. It is preventative medicine in action. Wellness encourages optimal health and promotes a healthy and happy mind, body and spirit. With a simple and practical wellness program, you can stay active for as long as possible, reduce your risk of chronic disease, and increase your vitality
Dr. Andrew Arnold talks about 7 Easy Tips for ‘Eating Your Way to Wellness’:
Fad diets are out! Sustainable, healthy eating is truly the best way to achieve your goal of vitality and Wellness for the long term. It is easy to eat well and be healthy following these key steps of the Wellness eating plan:
1. Include protein-rich foods in each meal or snack, including fish, poultry, lean meats, eggs, dairy, tofu, and tempeh. Remember fresh is best.
2. Enjoy a minimum of three cups of fresh vegetables per day. Aim to have a rainbow on your plate to ensure good antioxidant intake and seasonal variety.
3. Enjoy a minimum of two pieces or one cup of fruit per day.
4. Starchy carbohydrates should be kept at a minimum, with one
to two small serves each day. These include cereals, pasta, bread, and rice. Where possible choose low glycaemic index options such as wholegrain varieties.
5. Include nuts, seeds, and healthy oils daily. Enjoy up to two tablespoons of healthy oils such as olive oil, macadamia oil or flaxseed oil, and a ¼ cup or a small handful of nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds can also provide protein and other nutrients, such as selenium from Brazil nuts.
6. Ensure you are well hydrated. Enjoy at least eight glasses or two liters of pure water per day. Use natural flavorings such as fresh lemon, lime, mint or watermelon instead of opting for soft drinks. Reduce caffeinated beverages to one to two per day, and minimize alcohol intake.
7. It can be a challenge to maintain a perfect diet 100% of the time. Allow yourself a freedom meal once a week. This will keep your life-long Wellness program achievable, realistic and enjoyable.
You Too Can Achieve a Life of Wellness:
Would you like to improve your energy, vitality, and mood whilst also supporting cardiovascular, immune and digestive health? Your goal of Wellness can be achieved by combining a Wellness eating plan with regular exercise, relaxation, fun, and key nutritional supplementation. Come in and talk to your practitioner today so they can start you on the road to Wellness for life.
About the author:
Dr. Andrew Arnold is a Chiropractor from Cranbourne Family Chiropractic and Wellness Ctr.