‘A region of injured tissue or skin in which blood capillaries have been ruptured; a bruise’. Contusion is a medical term for bruise.
A contusion occurs when a capillary or blood vessel gets damaged and then leaks blood into the surrounding tissues. They are a type of hematoma, which means blood outside of a blood vessel.
Hi, this Dr. Andrew Arnold from Cranbourne Family Chiropractic and Wellness Centre we regularly see bruising associated with muscle strains, ligaments sprains, fractures, and other bone trauma.
Contusions can affect both bone and soft tissue.
Bone is also made of tissue and blood vessels. The injury causes blood vessels to leak. Causes include falls, accidents or high-impact sports injury.
- stiffness or swelling
- trouble bending or using the affected area
- long lasting pain
Diagnosis relies on ruling out a fracture. MRI is best to do this.
Healing can take anywhere from a few days to several months, depending on the severity.
In the first instant, you are best to apply first aid, i.e. R.I.C.E.
Muscle or skin tissue bruising
These are easier to diagnose compared with bone bruising.
- Discoloration of the skin that looks red, green, purple, blue, or black
- Difficulty moving the affected area if associated with a muscle or ligament injury.
As blood coagulates and breaks down chemicals are released into surrounding tissues. These chemicals are an irritant, breaking down normal tissues. Furthermore, the nature of swelling brings more fluid to the area which not only creates a pressure impact but also chemicals that act as irritants.
The purpose of treatment is to reduce swelling and move the fluids including the congealed blood.
Contrary to popular belief massaging the area early on is not recommended. The risk is more trauma. Massaging around the area, however, may help.
At Cranbourne Family Chiropractic and Wellness Centre we recommend interferential, a combination of ultrasound and TENS therapy. Cups are placed around the bruised areas for around 40 minutes. This is repeated anywhere from 2 to 10 sessions over 2-3 weeks depending on the severity of the bruising.
Dr. Andrew Arnold stresses that if left untreated you risk hardening of the congealed blood and a semi-permanent lump developing.
Creams such as hirudoid and Arnica may help break down surface bruising.
The bottom lines
A bruise a sign of something underlying such as a tear or fracture. If left untreated, you may develop a hardened lump which can create other problems.
For more information call our reception on 5998 4554.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready…
…here are 10 ways you can super-charge your health journey.
*With our ‘Discovery phone sessions’, please let us know your best contact # and best 3 times to get in touch.
- Grab a free copy of our mini-e-book titled, ‘The real reason you need to beat the smoking habit’. Click here to download.
- Grab a free copy of our mini-e-book titled, ‘How to beat anxiety naturally’. Click here to download.
- Find out more about our QUIT SMOKING program. Book a FREE phone *Discovery session with one of our QUIT SMOKING experts Click here to email.
- Find out more about our WEIGHT LOSS programs. Book a FREE phone *Discovery session with one of our weight loss experts. Click here to email.
- Find out more about our STRESS-LESS programs. Book a FREE phone *Discovery session with one of our stress-less experts. Click here to email.
- Join our online community and like our Facebook page and stay up to date with awesome health news, offers and promotions Click here.
- Visit our blog Click here
- Subscribe to our monthly newsletter Subscribe here.
- Send us an inquiry. Click here for our inquiry form.
- Reach out. If you want to make an appointment but still have questions either call us on 5998 4554 or click here to email and we’ll get back to you. Happy to chat.
About the Author:
Dr. Andrew Arnold is a Chiropractor and ACTP accredited Business Coach.
Founder: 12 Keys – The ‘Ultimate Wellness Practice Workshop’, Cranbourne Family Chiropractic and Wellness Centre and Million Dollar Wellness.
Andrew is married to Dr. Linda Wilson, the Stress Specialist and has two children, Isaac and Bella. He lives in Melbourne, Australia.
Disclaimer for Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre
If you require any more information or have any questions about our site’s disclaimer, please feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com
Disclaimers for Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre
All the information within this downloadable document and on this website – www.cranbournefamilychiro.com.au – is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre), is at your own risk. Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.
From our website, you can visit other websites by following hyperlinks to such external sites. While we strive to provide only quality links to useful and ethical websites, we have no control over the content and nature of these sites. These links to other websites do not imply a recommendation for all the content found on these sites. Site owners and content may change without notice and may occur before we have the opportunity to remove a link which may have gone ‘bad’.
Please be also aware that when you leave our website, other sites may have different privacy policies and terms which are beyond our control. Please be sure to check the Privacy Policies of these sites as well as their “Terms of Service” before engaging in any business or uploading any information.
By downloading this document and /or using our website, you hereby consent to our disclaimer and agree to its terms.
Should we update, amend or make any changes to this document, those changes will be prominently posted here.