Dr. Andrew Arnold says, ‘Insomnia is defined as an inability to obtain adequate sleep.’
Ways of managing insomnia include the following:
1. Avoid the following prior to retiring:
- Strenuous physical exercise.
- Mental stimulation.
- Coffee, or other stimulants.
2.Formulate a sleep regime:
- Environment is conducive to sleep.
- Psychological relaxation.
- Sleep enhancing diet. (milk, herbal teas)
3.Recognition of predisposing factors to insomnia.
- Various aches and pains.
- Sagging or too soft mattress.
- Sleeping in a biomechanically awkward position.
- Using a thick pillow.
- Drinking strong coffee or tea before going to bed.
- Having a heavy meal immediately before going to bed.
- Using bedding and nightwear unsuitable for present climate.
- Doing concentrated mental work just prior to going to bed.
- Doing strenous exercise shortly before going to bed.
- Using bedtime as an opportunity for family arguments.
- Taking the frustrations fo the day to bed.
4. Enhance Sleep Preparedness:
- Estab. a physiological sleep pattern.
- Create a sleep conducive environ.
Biomechanically Correct Sleeping Postures.
Keep your head in line with your spine.
Strategy one: Select the right mattress. A healthy life mattress from Regal Sleep Solutions is a health professional approved product specifically designed to suit the individual spine and posture. The right mattress contributes to correct sleeping posture in that it:
~Supports the body when one lies on its edge.
~Doesn’t sag in the center.
~Gives to allow hips and shoulders to sink in slightly in side-lying positions thereby permitting a straight spine.
Strategy two: Select the proper pillow.
Select a pillow that fits snugly into the curve of the neck; avoid two pillows or pillows that are very fat or very thin. Regal Sleep Solutions can provide you a solution spefically suited to your needs.
Strategy three: Assume a biomechanically sound posture.
For sidy lying:
~Use a pillow to support the head and neck.
~Slighly flex the knees.
~Keep the arms below the shoulder line.
For supine lying:
~Use a pillow to support slighlty bent knees.
~Use a pillow to support the neck in optimal lordosis.
For prone position:
~There is no biomechanically acceptable posture.
- Rise leisurely.
- Stretch before rising.
- After a period of inactivity, a good stretch stimulates blood flow.
- Learn to relax.
- Assume good sleep posture.
- Avoid feeling stressed if unable to sleep.
- Use affirmations to try to sleep.
5. Monitor proposed sleep pattern with the help of your healthcare professional.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready…
…here are 10 ways you can super-charge your health journey.
*With our ‘Discovery phone sessions’, please let us know your best contact # and best 3 times to get in touch.
- Grab a free copy of our mini-e-book titled, ‘The real reason you need to beat the smoking habit’. Click here to download.
- Grab a free copy of our mini-e-book titled, ‘How to beat anxiety naturally’. Click here to download.
- Find out more about our QUIT SMOKING program. Book a FREE phone *Discovery session with one of our QUIT SMOKING experts Click here to email.
- Find out more about our WEIGHT LOSS programs. Book a FREE phone *Discovery session with one of our weight loss experts. Click here to email.
- Find out more about our STRESS-LESS programs. Book a FREE phone *Discovery session with one of our stress-less experts. Click here to email.
- Join our online community and like our Facebook pageand stay up to date with awesome health news, offers and promotions Click here.
- Visit our blog Click here
- Subscribe to our monthly newsletter Subscribe here.
- Send us an inquiry. Click here for our inquiry form.
- Reach out. If you want to make an appointment but still have questions either call us on 5998 4554 or click here to email and we’ll get back to you. Happy to chat.
About the Author:
Dr. Andrew Arnold is a Chiropractor and ACTP accredited Business Coach.
Founder: 12 Keys – The ‘Ultimate Wellness Practice Workshop’, Cranbourne Family Chiropractic and Wellness Centre and Million Dollar Wellness.
Andrew is married to Dr. Linda Wilson, the Stress Specialist and has two children, Isaac and Bella. He lives in Melbourne, Australia.
Disclaimer for Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre
If you require any more information or have any questions about our site’s disclaimer, please feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com
Disclaimers for Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre
All the information within this downloadable document and on this website – www.cranbournefamilychiro.com.au – is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre), is at your own risk. Cranbourne Family Chiropractic & Wellness Centre will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.
From our website, you can visit other websites by following hyperlinks to such external sites. While we strive to provide only quality links to useful and ethical websites, we have no control over the content and nature of these sites. These links to other websites do not imply a recommendation for all the content found on these sites. Site owners and content may change without notice and may occur before we have the opportunity to remove a link which may have gone ‘bad’.
Please be also aware that when you leave our website, other sites may have different privacy policies and terms which are beyond our control. Please be sure to check the Privacy Policies of these sites as well as their “Terms of Service” before engaging in any business or uploading any information.
By downloading this document and /or using our website, you hereby consent to our disclaimer and agree to its terms.
Should we update, amend or make any changes to this document, those changes will be prominently posted here.