Dr. Andrew Arnold explains, 9 out of 10 people suffer from headache. And the causes are wide and varied, ranging from physical, general stressors, joint dysfunction, muscle cramping, and trigger points.
There are 4 common types of headache pain (link to pain-treatment) we find in Chiropractic practice:
– Neck vertebral Osteoarthritic based. Cervical Spondylosis.
– Muscle or tension based.
– Migraine (Headache with associate symptoms i.e. aura, nausea, vomiting, dizzies, etc.)
– Cluster headaches (occurring in small bouts often)
Rarely is a headache dangerous?
If you’re not sure whether to see a Chiropractor or GP use this simple checklist:
1. Are you’re headache severe?
2. Has there been a history of headache prior to?
3. Has there been a sudden change in headache pattern?
4. Is your headache aggravated by straining?
5. Is persistent, longer than 24hours.
6. Is it localized to a specific spot on your head?
7. Is present 1st thing in the morning.
8. Is associated with convulsions and/or loss of consciousness.
9. Any memory disturbances.
10. Any personality changes.
11. Is progressively worsening.
12. Does it start on one side then spread?
13. Is there vomiting.
Pain Management for Headaches (link to pain-treatment):
Headache pain is very individual, impacted by all sorts of factors ranging from social, psychological, personality traits, emotional characteristics, pain thresholds etc.
Chiropractors offer a unique way of dealing with headache pain, fast, safe and effective.
Techniques range from very low force to more mechanical.
Often gentle mobilizations to the upper neck can alleviate headache pain without the need for drugs.
Chiropractors undertake a 5-year double degree which positions them very well to accurately assess and diagnose your particular type of headache.
About the Author:
Dr. Andrew Arnold is a Chiropractor from Cranbourne Family Chiropractic and Wellness Ctr.